The Agency Record Blog
I have been dying to write on the creative process for a while now, and a recent post by Graham Smith put me over the edge finally (quite literally over the edge…sorry about the preachy-purge-of-a-comment, Graham! I’ll try to proselytize in my own spaces from now on…)
I say of myself that I am an Idea Junkie. I am in love with new thoughts of all sorts, but especially if they are creative thoughts. I regularly express my creativity in music, photography, videography, motion graphics, graphics design, web design and entrepreneurial pursuits. (The last one might not seem purely creative, but in my experience, it has been the same kind of thrill and frustration I have had in any other highly creative and worthwhile pursuit.)
So for the balance of this post, and through the means of a list of questions, I will lay out the path I want to explore in this series of posts about Creative Process.
- What constitutes creativity? Is it a uniquely human process?
- Are there “Creatives” and “Non-Creatives”, or is everyone inherently creative?
- Are there hard creative limits or only self-imposed limitations?
- How do we grow creatively? What holds us back or keeps us in a rut?
- Can creativity be a community-centered experience, or is it only an individual pursuit?
I hope this will be a fun and inspiring little jaunt, examining the fertile recesses of our own grey matter, and challenging the notions about ourselves, which we may have internalized without even realizing it.